Irvine Valley's men's tennis team earned one of its best wins of the season so far, beating Pomona-Pitzer, 7-2, on the road on Friday in Claremont.
Pomona-Pitzer was ranked No. 9 in NCAA Division III.
Irvine Valley, ranked No. 1 in the state for community colleges and the defending state champion, improved its record to 9-0 overall.
The win was IVC's second over a four-year school this season.
IVC won two of three matches in doubles to get started, including getting a tough 9-8 victory by the team of freshmen Wyatt DeMulling and Chris Politiek over Pomona-Pitzer's Avery Bicks and Kalyan Chadalavada.
Then in singles, Irvine Valley won five of six matches.
The Lasers took three of those in straight sets. DeMulling defeated Anthony Bello, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1 singles and sophomore defending state singles champion Javier Callejo beat Joshua Gearou, 6-1, 6-0, in the second position.
Mirecki downed Jonathan Miller, 6-0, 6-2, on the fourth court for the Lasers.
Politiek and sophomore Luis Castillo each won third-set tiebreakers to wrap up IVC's victories in singles.
Irvine Valley gets back to Orange Empire Conference action on Tuesday. And the Lasers have a big one. They take on rival and No. 3-ranked in the state Cypress on the road at 2 p.m.
IVC edged Cypress, 5-4, at home two weeks ago in a match that took four hours and went down to the wire.
1) Wyatt DeMulling (IVC) def. Anthony Bello (PP), 6-1, 6-3
2) Javier Callejo (IVC) def. Joshua Gearou (PP), 6-1, 6-0
3) Chris Politiek (IVC) def. Spencer Simonides (PP), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0
4) Leszek Mirecki (IVC) def. Jonathan Miller (PP), 6-0, 6-2
5) Luis Castillo (IVC) def. Quinn Hirsohn (PP), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0
6) Samuel Gearou (PP) def. Gavin Lynch (IVC), 6-1, 6-2
1) Simonides/Bello (PP) def. Castillo/Callejo (IVC), 8-4
2) DeMulling/Politiek (IVC) def. Avery Bicks/Kalyan Chadalavada (PP), 9-8
3) Mirecki/Lynch (IVC) def. Sam Malech/Joshua Kim (PP), 8-2